Vernon Hills is a village in Lake County, Illinois, United States, and an affluent northern suburb of Chicago. The population was 20,120 at the 2000 census, and 25,113 in 2010. Vernon Hills serves as a retail hub for its surrounding area. The land that was to become Vernon Hills, founded by Richard Theodore Freese, Ron Freese, and Jim Carswell, began with the establishment of a 200-acre farm in 1851. Use of the land remained relatively static until the 1950s, when part of it was purchased for a residential community and golf course; the development was the first use of the name “Vernon Hills.” On June 16, 1958, the village officially incorporated with 123 residents and 125 houses in a single subdivision built by Quinn Hogan and Barney Loeb. By 1980, the village’s population had grown to almost 10,000 residents, and by 2000, it had surpassed 20,000.
*Cited from Wikipedia