Once you’ve found your dream home, it’s time to make sure it’s secure for the safety of your family as well as your investment. For most people, security is an after thought. According to the Federal Bureau of Investigation one in six homes will be burglarized; burglars only need about sixty seconds to break into a home and every 15.4 seconds a home is targeted. Here are some tips to keep your family and home safer.
- Keep your doors and windows locked. Most burglars will take advantage of the easiest way in. This is a good rule of thumb for when your home alone as well as many other crimes can happen during those times when a potential victim is vulnerable and alone thinking they are safe at home during the day.
- Install drapes or blinds on all lower level windows and doors, including the garage. Most burglaries actually occur during the middle of the day, so keeping your possessions and cars hidden from intruders is important.
- Install flood lights or censor lights on the exterior of the home and keep lights on inside the home as well. Burglars are far less likely to enter a well-lit residence.
- Keep a well-manicured lawn. This can emphasize that you pay close attention to your home and make it easier to see someone lurking around.
- Install an alarm system. Make sure all household members are trained properly in working the alarm and use it daily; a top-notch security system is useless if it isn’t used or is used improperly. Also, post stickers on the exterior of the home indicating your alarm service and that will often scare off possible intruders.
- Meet the neighbors. Neighborhood watches work based on the idea that everyone is looking out for everyone else. This only happens with you become part of the community.
Nothing will guarantee that your home will never be targeted. By taking these steps you can ensure that your home is less appealing to the criminal element. For more safety tips contact Helen today at 847.967.0022 or email email@example.com.